Monday, February 27, 2006

It Begins

Lent begins in a few days and I just started reading in this lenten prayer book. It's nice to have things like this to remind yourself what Lent is all about. For those of you who don't know, or have forgotten, the three pillars of lent are prayer, almsgiving, and fasting. So I'm trying to incorporate all three of these things into my lenten plan. Here it is so far:

~Friday Fasting
~Set aside time for prayer everyday (and use my lent prayer book!)
~Read Bible everyday (I think I'm going to go back to the new testament this year)
~Volunteer (I already e-mailed Father Pat about this already and he gave me a few ideas. He really wants me to sing in the choir...)
~Rosary on Sundays (Goes along with the prayer part)
~Love more, show love, be supportive of those around me, make someone smile everyday
~Spend time listening everyday (we all know my mouth gets away from me on a daily basis. But how can I hear God if I never shut up?!)

So that's the plan. It's a bit ambitious but I think I can do it. And I think I'm going to start now as a sort of warm-up for lent! Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

fasting every friday? how long is this gonna go for?
i have friends who used to fast like 3 days in a week every month as a part of this esoteric kabbalistic practice. but i think they were just crazy.
don't starve!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your goals, Janice.::squeak:: I can't fast for an entire day because I would, quite literally, die (I have that high of a metabolism that even missing one meal leaves me in near critical condition of starving).::squeak:: If you need any help with any of them, I'm here to help (especially with your goal to make someone smile everyday).::squeak::