Friday, January 13, 2006

I didn't sleep at all last night!

Ok, so I had work at 8am today!! Blah! And I couldn't get to sleep last night because I was thinking about Violet and I had, in short, a major revelation that I immediately had to write down. I thought I would share it since I thought it was important enough to loose sleep over. Well it began with an excercise we did in rehearsal. Cassie had us interview each other in character. Where are you from, what do you do during the day, what do like to eat for breakfast, etc. Well I, like an idiot, hadn't really read the script in a while and had forgotten a lot of info about Violet like the the fact that she's an orphan!!! So when I was asked where I was from, where my parents lived, etc. I made up some BS about how they lived on the other side of new york and that I didn't really see them often since they lived so far away. I went on to talk about how I went to community college because it was cheaper and I was paying my own way through etc. because I wanted to assert some independence and not be burden on my parents. This all sounded fine and dandy but she's an orphan. We're all orphans!!! But what if Violet would lie about her parents? Violet longs for a flock, community, human contact. She wants people to like her. So she probably would lie about her parents being alive to make herself seem more normal and then maybe people would like her. That and she doesn't want people to pity her she wants people to like her. I think Violet has a huge fantasy life pervades all aspects of her life, including her work. I think she really believes that she's helping people by directing them to the right person to call. But what if in a moment she realizes that she really isn't helping anyone? That she's getting the same problems over and over and nothing changes, nothing ever gets better. I think that's when she retreats even farther into her fantasies and that's when she convinces herself that she's a bird. Birds always have a community, they help each other, they're not selfish, no one is ever alone or hurting. You don't have to think or make decisions. I also think that although she really wants a community, someone to care about her and to share things with, she's really shy and afraid of people. She's always been alone and so I think she just doesn't know how to socialize with others. Maybe that's why she works at home. At home she's in her own space. She doesn't have to be reminded every day how awkward and lonely she is. So I think I've decided that Violet is an escapist. Well more later. For now back to work!

No comments: