Friday, October 13, 2006

A Letter

Dear Amy Lee,

I listened to a song of yours tonight that meant a lot to me. I sort of came across is when I was downloading some stuff (I’m sorry, I’m a poor, in debt college student, and I know that's not excuse... So please forgive me.) But I'd like to tell you what this song meant to me. I'm really smart; I go to one of the most rigorous universities in the country. I'm here because I felt obligated to pursue an academic career because otherwise I'd be wasting this gift and opportunity I've been given. But I've been talking myself out of doing what I really love for most of my life because I thought it was impractical. Smart girls don't pursue theatre! They know it's hard, and know that they would have so many other, very worth while, oppertunities that they could pursue with and undergraduate or higher degree. But I want to create art that touches people, even if that means making myself vulnerable and sharing the most wonderful, painful, and scary moments of my life. And your song seemed to encapsulate all the qualities that I hope my own art will one day exude. This song was so honest, clumsily honest at times... It was beautiful and you made yourself so vulnerable. When I went to look up the lyrics to the song I found reports that stated you didn't want people listening to/reading the lyrics of this song, and if that's true I'm very sorry. But your song "You" really inspired and changed my life tonight, and for that I would most sincerely like to thank you.

~Janice

No comments: