Sunday, May 22, 2005

Je suis fatigué

It's been a long fun day. I woke up and went to work, which was boring as usual, but I made a pretty good dent into my French HP book. Then I went over and did the pre-show for whistle, which was fun. I got to build my brick wall one last time and scream a lot. Then me and Brian tried to marry my computers so that I could transfer my music onto this one. Well let’s just say that that was a huge fiasco but we're getting there. I think I have an idea I just need Brian to set it up again. So Melinda, Kim, Brian, and I all went out to dinner here in Hyde Park. I forget the name of the restaurant but it was really good. I think I might stop by and see about a job for the summer. Then me and Kim ditched B. and M. to go see Star Wars.

It was really sad but weird because you knew what was going to happen. It reminded me of my Greek thought and lit. class. We would be discussing some Greek play and even if we hadn't been assigned to read the whole thing yet the prof. always would spoil the ending during our discussion. To experience the play as an ancient was to know the mythology and the stories already. So to pick up some of the subtle ways the author would play with things our prof. would tell us what was going to happen so we could experience the play like a real Greek or roman. Well it kind of worked but seeing this movie was like really experiencing what that must have felt like. Everyone knows Anakin is going to become darth vedor (sp?) and amidala (sp?) is going to die. The interesting part is seeing how they get there. It was just kinda fun to really see what it must have felt like.

The only thing that really bothered me was Anakin. At the end of the movie when he's been burned and his entire world is falling apart I didn't even feel sorry for him. I mean throughout the movie he's so distant, which didn't bother me. But when he was with amidala I didn't feel his love for her. He just didn't seem to be very human to me. So when his entire world collapses I didn't feel sorry for him because I wasn't very emotionally invested in his character. I felt sorry for amidala and the republic and obi one (sp?? darn star wars names!!!!) but not for Anakin. He just seemed like a monster. I understood why he questioned the Jedi for wanting to kill the chancellor. He wanted to preserve that ideal of what is right. But he himself had violated that same code at the beginning of the movie by killing what's his name. So I felt for him in his struggle to make a choice and find what is right but the whole love and loss thing just didn't strike a chord. Well I should get to sleep. Melinda and I are going to go look at Bikes tomorrow and I have to study for 3 French orals on Monday!!!! Vale!

No comments: